Derrik, Devin, Tyler, David, Angela, Jessica

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Family...That's what it is all about!







This summer has come and gone, and although there were many days that drug on and on, it really did fly by. As I glance over the calendar I am overwhelmed by all the events our family experienced over these past few months; so many wonderful things this summer, and with those wonderful things comes amazing change.

We have spent as much time together as a family as we possibly could because each of us knows that with all this change, our family life as we know it now will never be the same again. And that is okay, right? For Tyler, having all his siblings around with him has meant so much. The kids have all taken full advantage of spending so much time together, and that has been such a huge blessing. We even squeezed in a family camping trip in July, just one last time.
Our first highlight this summer was Jessica's college graduation. My little girl accomplished something so amazing! On June 24, 2011, after 4 years of hard work and study, Jessica graduated with her BSN from Chamberlain College of Nursing. Dave and I couldn't be more proud of her. Now she is studying for her boards then on to the job hunt. I know she will find one and be an incredible nurse. Her goal is to work in Pediatric Oncology. A tough field, but she will do great. She is just that kind of girl!

Derrik and Devin were busily getting ready to leave on their missions as well. Each will be going to opposite ends of the earth, literally!! Derrik will be serving in the Australia Brisbane Mission and Devin will be serving in the Finland Helsinki Mission. This will be the first time in their lives that they will be apart, and until last week, when Devin left for the MTC, we found out what is was going to be like, especially Derrik. The first few days were not easy, but over time Derrik was just itching to get out of here and on to his mission. They gave their farewell talks on July 31, 2011 and both did an absolutely amazing job. Derrik spoke on "The Book of Mormon...Another Testament of Jesus Christ", and Devin spoke on "Jesus Christ". Tyler even played a beautiful piano arrangement of "We'll Bring the World His Truth", which really brought the tears! We were so blessed to have so many extended family members and friends come to support them. Then it became time to send Devin off to the MTC on August 17th. I must admit that there were many a night I would cry myself to sleep thinking about this day, knowing that I would be handing both boys over to the Lord and His care for the next two years. Who better to entrust with your children, right? However, it still isn't easy. We took Devin to the airport and said our good-byes. As Dave and I stood watching him go through security until we couldn't see him anymore, tears came and we knew we had to do it all over again in one week! And today was that one week. Today we sent Derrik to serve. I really thought that tears were all dried up, but as we said goodnight last night, I got on my knees and sobbed. At the airport, he was all smiles; he was ready! Dave and I stood in our spot again, and watched him go until we couldn't see him any longer and tears streamed down my face. My boys are gone for two years. I am so happy that they are able to serve, and are willing to serve the Lord. There is no place I would rather have them be. But a piece of my heart is broken. I have strong faith, and know all will be well.

Now it is Tyler's turn. Life will be so different for him, but I have felt for several weeks now, that it will all be okay; he will be just fine. It is just all about change, and how we face it that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment